Thursday, September 17, 2009

Move over Michael Phelps






Dominic didn't get into the pre-K program at Gordon McCaw this year so I asked him which rec center program he would like to do. He picked swimming lessons. It made me happy because I loved to swim and always like to revisit my glory days as a lifeguard.
He started swimming lessons a few weeks ago and today was his last lesson. I think he was the smallest and youngest kid in his class. He isn't scarred of the water, but he also doesn't really like the idea of putting his head under water or floating on his back just yet. He did very well and liked it, which is most important. Jade also liked swimming lessons. I spent most of my time trying to take pictures and save Jade from joining in a class with all her clothes on.
Dominic had a really sweet girl named Maria as his teacher. She was very good with the kids and super nice. I had to laugh because there was this guy (a dad) talking to her today after lessons and he was laying it on pretty thick. He was borderline flirting with her and telling her how wonderful she was and great she was with kids and her expressions were magical in his MC Hammer pants and wife beater. I could tell she wanted to say "enough creep-o" but she politely stood there and thanked him and then scurried off into the guard room. Moral of the story: even after being gone from the pool for a long time…some things never change:)

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

It is such a relief when your kids finally can kind of swim! I totally forgot about MC Hammer, infact when I first read the name, I read it like Mick Hammer, then it clicked! How funny. You missed out tonight, it was fun!

Heidi said...

Go Dominic! Sorry he didn't get in pre-k this year... but glad that he liked his swimming class!

Sara said...

I love that top picture...LOL. I'm glad he liked it:) Oh,come on Mandy, you know you miss disgusting old men picking up on you at the pool...hehe:)

Jamie said...

I love Maris! I used to work with her a few years back! Aww, it makes me miss teaching swim lessons a little bit!:)

Hibbard Family said...

Its nice that he likes the water, and how nice will it be to go to the pool when your kids can swim!!